Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Black-Eyed Pea Dip

Once upon a time, when we only had two children and life was a little calmer, I decided that we should eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day.


Just because.  It's traditional.  Or something like that.

And so, at that time, I made Pioneer Woman's dip.


It was yummy.  I had never thought to bake black-eyed peas into a dip.  Until I discovered that recipe.

And then I totally forgot about the tradition I had decided to start.  We haven't had black-eyed peas since.


Until now.  I just remembered that recipe.  And I decided to make it again.

Even though it's not really New Year's Day.

And I decided to adapt the recipe based on what I actually had in my pantry.


Because running to the store for just a few ingredients with a preschooler who thinks that she is the mommy and thus the one in charge, a potty-training 2-year-old and a precious squishy baby boy that wants to nurse for hours on end just isn't really on my agenda.

So I do what I want to with the ingredients I can find within the four walls of my house.

And this is what I ended up with.


Let's just say that I won't wait until New Year's Day to make this again.


Delicious.

Note: I used 1 tablespoon of chopped jalapenos.  I was serving it to guests and didn't want it to be too spicy.  This was the perfect amount for most people.  I like spice, though, so if I were making it for people who like it a little hotter, I would use 2-3 tablespoons of jalapenos.

Black-Eyed Pea Dip

15 oz. can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
10 oz. can Rotel, drained
1 T diced pickled jalapenos (I used part of a 4 oz. can) (use more if you like spice)
8 oz. can corn, drained
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/2 cup finely minced onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Tortilla chips, for serving

Mash the black-eyed peas roughly with a fork.  Combine with remaining ingredients and stir well.  Spread dip into a greased 2-qt casserole dish.  Bake for about 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbly.  Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments: