Saturday, November 10, 2012

Blondies


Blondies are totally retro.


Think Applebee's in the '90s.


Hey, I liked Applebee's in the '90s.


Sometimes, my mom would take me and my brother there after school.  My brother would eat an entire meal for his after-school snack, and my mom and I would share a blondie.


It was a treat.


So we would sit in the booth and talk about our day at school.  


Back when life seemed so complicated.

I love nostalgic food that transports you back to sweet memories with family.

Thanks, Mama, for the blondies we shared, and for caring about who said what to who in the hall between classes.  And thanks to my brother, who made sure my life was fun.  Always.  And thanks to my daddy, who built a business (yes, he did build that) so that we could sit in a near-empty restaurant in the middle of the afternoon and talk about the drama that was high school.  

I'm done now.

Don't ya want to go make some blondies now?

Blondies

1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
12 oz. (about 2 cups) white chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnut pieces

Whisk together the butter and both sugars.  Whisk in the vanilla and eggs.  Add the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until just combined - do not over-stir.  Stir in the white chocolate chips and walnuts.  

Pour into a greased 7x11 baking dish.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 24-27 minutes.  They will be very gooey when you take them out and a knife inserted will have batter on it.  This is exactly what you want - they will set up as they cool and you want them to be soft rather than cakey.  Cool completely before cutting and serving.

No comments: