Sunday, September 11, 2011

Honey Nut Graham Snack Mix

I saw this recipe in Southern Living, and I just had to make it.

I made it for my kids, you see.

But I don't want them eating a bunch of sugar.

So I had to eat it.

As a mom, I'm forced to make difficult choices sometimes.





I had to make the recipe be what I wanted it to be, so this is my version of Southern Living's recipe.  For example, Southern Living only called for one cup of M&M's.  Skim-py.  So I just went and used the whole bag.


And then Southern Living's recipe only called for part of the can of honey-roasted peanuts.  And I was all, what am I going to do with the rest of the can?  So I just used the whole can.

I love you, Southern Living.  You make my life delicious.

You'll need this sugar cereal.

Growing up, with the exception of Kix, pretty much everything was considered "sugar cereal" at our house.  I kid you not.  We were always excited when summer rolled around because we got a treat - Frosted Mini Wheats!  

Can you imagine my excitement when I went to college and there was a whole wall of cereal???

Anyway, I have inflicted the same restrictions on my children and therefore, they think that Multi-Grain Cheerios are the best thing they've ever had.





And you'll need these things to make a syrupy-glaze mixture to pour over the cereal and nuts to make them into little clusters for our snack mix.


This is basically like making caramel corn.

Put the cereal, nuts and pretzels together in a bowl.

Boil the syrup ingredients together for two minutes and then pour it over the cereal and mix it together.



Spread it on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake it in the oven.



When it comes out, let it cool on wax paper.



Then toss it up with the M&M's.



And see how long this tub of snack mix lasts on your counter.



Honey Nut Graham Snack Mix
Inspired by Southern Living

12 oz. box Golden Grahams cereal
12 oz. can honey roasted peanuts
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 cups pretzels
12 oz. bag plain M&M's

Pour the cereal, peanuts and pretzels into a large bowl.

In a small saucepan on the stove, melt the butter and then stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup.  Bring to a boil and boil for exactly 2 minutes.

Pour it over the cereal mixture and toss it all together.  Spread it on a lightly greased 10x15 baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Spread the cereal mixture on a sheet of parchment paper (or wax paper) and let it cool - about 30 minutes.

Toss it together with the M&M's.

No comments: