Monday, September 12, 2011

Layer Salad

This recipe is just like chocolate sheet cake.

Except for the fact that chocolate sheet cake is, well...dessert, and layer salad is, well...a salad.

Other than that, it's exactly the same.

Here's why it's the same: because everyone grew up eating it and each family's version is slightly different than the next.

Can I get a witness here?

On the subject of sheet cake, I'll have to share that one with you some day.  It's ridiculous.

But this is layer salad.

It has lettuce.  But not too much.  Because salad is so not about the lettuce.


Oh, and be warned: this makes a lot of salad.  Don't say I didn't warn you when you have to transfer it to a bigger bowl.

It has peas.  Which I love.



It has green onions.  So fresh.  They're under the peas.  At least I think they are.

It has turkey bacon.  A full pound.  Need I say more?


It has tomatoes.  So red.


It has eggs.  If you don't like eggs, you should seek counseling because that's simply not normal to not like eggs.





It has cheese.  Not quite a pound.  In this case, a full pound of cheese would've simply been too much.  Yes, even I think it's possible to have too much cheese.  Rarely, though.


And as for the dressing, I just can't do the straight-up mayonnaise thing.  Even though that's traditional in some parts.  Even though I do love me some mayo.

I like to cut it with a little sour cream, vinegar, and sugar.


Only in my world is it even possible to even "cut" mayonnaise with sugar.

My world is fun!  Come on in and join me.

The dressing ends up not exactly tasting sweet, just perfectly delicious.  And just a little sweet.

I like sweet, okay?  That's why I'm getting on the treadmill as soon as I post this recipe.  Because in my world, I have to run even after eating salad.

I made this in the morning and then just tossed it all together right before dinner.  It's even good left over the next day.



Lexington Layer Salad
Adapted from Pioneer Woman and my family's version of Layer Salad

1 head iceberg lettuce, sliced very thin
12 oz. bag frozen peas, defrosted and kept cold
2 bunches green onions, sliced thin
8 oz. container of grape tomatoes, cut in half
8 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and smashed with a fork
1 pound turkey bacon, cooked until crisp and drained on a paper towel, and crumbled
12 oz. cheddar cheese, grated

Dressing:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
2 T white vinegar

In a bowl, layer the lettuce, peas, green onions, tomatoes, eggs, turkey bacon and cheese.  Whisk the dressing ingredients together and spread it on top.

This keeps well in the refrigerator.  Can be made up to 12 hours ahead and then tossed together right before ready to serve.  Or you can toss and serve immediately.

No comments: