Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Cheeseburger Pie

Hey.  Have you had this before?  It's certainly not my original recipe, but it is a good one.


My husband and I had this as an appetizer at a Christmas party.  I was all, "What is this stuff?  Where has this been all my life?"  It was during a reprieve from my nausea and I'm pretty sure I could have polished off at least half of the casserole dish.  By myself.  But I didn't, because that would have been embarrassing!

And I try not to embarrass myself more than necessary.


So I asked for the recipe and came home and made it.  It's a great appetizer.  It also makes a great dinner.  I probably don't even need to tell you that this was a huge hit with my husband and kids.


That's a no-brainer.

So it's just a layer of crescent rolls (don't you like where this is going), a layer of ground beef mixed with onion soup mix (I love that stuff), American cheese, pickles (hang with me here) and a top crust of crescent rolls.


Bake it and voila!  Cheeseburger pie. Portable.  Delicious.


And here's the kicker: it's generally called White Castle Casserole.  But I just can't do it.  I. Just Can't.  So I renamed it.  Some people apparently serve it with yellow mustard.  The mustard adds a nice tang but isn't required.  It's your call.


Aren't you glad to know that.

Cheeseburger Pie

2 8 oz. cans crescent roll sheets
1 1/3 lbs ground beef (I used 80/20)
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
Dill pickle slices (enough to cover the surface of a 9x13 baking dish)
10-12 slices American cheese
Yellow mustard, for serving

Grease a 9x13 baking dish and fit one sheet (from one can) of crescent rolls in the bottom.

Meanwhile, brown the meat in a skillet and drain any excess fat.  Stir in the onion soup mix and combine well.  Sprinkle meat mixture on top of the crescent roll crust.

Evenly spread the pickles on top of the meat mixture.  Layer the cheese on top.  Use the second roll of crescent roll dough to form a crust on top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until golden.  Serve with yellow mustard.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Hi Elizabeth! Just now trying this as I'm all 'chickened-out' at the moment. Sounds yummy and right up Pierce's alley! The picture show the pickles on top of the cheese, but the directions say to put them on top of the beef. Which is better? Or I could be blind!! Sandy

Sandy said...

Okay, Pierce absolutely loved it!!! I'm not surprised, especially since I told him the other name was White Castle Casserole! (I put the pickles on top of the beef)

Sandy said...

One more question ~ how was this served as an appetizer?

Elizabeth said...

I just messed up when I put the pickles on the cheese - they're better on top of the meat! As an appetizer it was just cut into small squares and served as finger food. So glad y'all liked this! :)