Thursday, May 10, 2012

Georgia Cracker Candy

I stopped by the grocery tonight to pick up a few things.  These things jumped in my cart:


And when I got home, I noticed something disturbing.

Do you see what it says on the side of the bag?


Why yes.  Yes, it does actually say, "Easy to EAT!"

I mean, can I even tell you what a relief this is.  Finally, a candy that is actually easy to eat!

Since I normally have such a hard time eating candy.

That's right.  If there's one thing America needs in a time like this, it's a candy that is Easy to EAT!

Enough already.  Now I'll show you something else that is easy to eat.


This stuff.  Know what's under that sea of melted chocolate?

Zesta crackers.


Covered with homemade caramel.




I call it cracker candy.  You can call it crack candy if you like.


I don't know a whole lot about crack, but it's pretty addictive from what I hear.  And this candy might even be more addictive than crack itself.


One thing is for sure: Butterfinger's got nothing on Pithy.  I guarantee this stuff is easier to eat than Butterfinger Bites.  Go see for yourself.

Georgia Cracker Candy
Very Slightly Adapted from Paula Deen


37-38 saltine crackers
2 sticks butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 tsp almond extract
4 4.25-oz. Symphony milk chocolate bars

Line a 10x15 baking sheet with foil then spray it lightly with nonstick cooking spray.  Place the crackers, salty side down, in rows.  You may have to break a couple in half to get them to fit on the ends.

In a saucepan, combine the butter and brown sugar.  Bring to a boil and boil for 2 1/2 minutes.  Pour over the crackers and bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes.

Remove from oven and lay the whole chocolate bars on top.  Let it sit for a minute while the caramel melts the chocolate, then take a knife or spatula and spread the chocolate evenly over the whole pan.  Cool completely then chill until hard before breaking into bark.

10 comments:

kathryn callahan said...

what is a symphony bar? Is it like a hershey's?

Elizabeth said...

It's like a hershey bar but better. They're usually on the baking aisle in the big candy bar packages. You can definitely use hershey though.

Anonymous said...

Doesn’t say what to add the almond to.

Elizabeth said...

You're right! I'll fix that. Just add the almond extract to the caramel mixture before you pour it over the crackers.

Anonymous said...

I used chocolate chips worked fine. Hit of the cookie exchange

Elizabeth said...

That's great!!! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Can you use vanilla extract instead of almond?

Elizabeth said...

Yes absolutely!

Dora said...

Can you use parchment paper

unknown said...

This caramel cracked chocolate candy is easy for making and has very good taste. try this one.