Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Couscous with Zucchini


I haven't cooked much lately.  I'm having an issue with food (you know it's serious when I'm having a food issue).


Here's the thing.  Baby Bear is occupying every speck of space in my torso.  Thus, leaving no room for anything else (like breathing or eating more than two bites at a meal).


So eating is not so fun right now.  The other day I ate a carton of yogurt for a snack and was stuffed for hours.

Did you know that couscous is the smallest pasta?  True.
And I've got 2 months + to go.

Couscous is done!  Ready to be fluffed with a fork.
Wow.

But I did make this the other night.  And my husband ate it with fish and mango salsa.  And he liked it.


I'm not complaining.  Carrying a baby is a woman's divine privilege.  I'm just explaining the lack of recipes coming out of my kitchen.

But this is a good one and I hope you try it.  Especially since some of you are fixin'* to have beaucoup de** zucchini growing in your garden.

*Southern for "getting ready to"
**French for "much" (I think)

Couscous with Zucchini



1 T olive oil
1 T butter

1 zucchini, diced
1/2 onion, diced small
2 garlic cloves, minced or grated

1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp saffron (optional)

1 cup chicken stock
1 cup couscous
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted

Heat the oil and butter in a medium pan.  Saute the zucchini and onions for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until tender.  Add the garlic, cumin, salt pepper and saffron (if using).  Stir well and cook another minute.  Add the stock and couscous.  Bring to a boil, cover and remove the pan from the heat.  Allow it to sit for at least 5 minutes.  Remove the lid and fluff the couscous with a fork.  Stir in the Parmesan and pine nuts.  Serve at room temperature.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a good laugh at this as a fellow hot and pregnant friend! I can't eat a lot lately either- it's weird! But what is amazing is how I still want sweets- like how I can barely cook dinner but Chewy Bitterfinger cookies might just be baking in my oven right now- haha! I suppose we'll blame it on hormones! I'm gonna give this couscous a try though- it made the June menu :)!
Stacy

Elizabeth said...

I know you can relate, Stacy! :) Funny how you forget all these things that happen to you! Hope y'all like the couscous - Matthew and the girls really liked it too, so hope your crew does too.