Monday, May 7, 2012

Raspberry Sauce

This is the perfect match for coeur a la creme.


It's a beautiful deep red, it's tart and sweet, thick and simply wonderful.

It's also really good on ice cream.  Or with meringues and fresh fruit.  Or with Greek yogurt.  Try angel food cake.  Chocolate cake.  Pound cake.  Cheesecake.  Shall I go on?


It's crazy simple, and it starts with frozen raspberries and sugar.

You can use fresh raspberries, of course, but they're normally expensive and you can't tell the difference between fresh and frozen when you blend this sauce.


Then just puree it with some raspberry jam.  You can use seedless if the seeds bother you.  But the raspberries have seeds anyway, so I don't think it makes much difference.


I'm not bothered by seeds.  I think the seeds make it more authentic-looking.


And I live to floss my teeth, so I'm fine with seeds.

Raspberry Sauce
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa


1 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
12 oz. jar raspberry preserves

Place raspberries, sugar and water in small saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce to low and simmer for about 4 minutes.  Add the preserves and use a hand blender to puree the sauce.  (You can also add the raspberry mixture and preserves to the bowl of a food processor or blender and puree.)  Chill before serving.

No comments: