Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pear & Pomegranate Salad

I'm sorry.  There's just no way I can do justice to this salad.


No amount or quality of pictures can even come close to the fabulous flavor and texture of this salad.

It's a shame that I can't tell you how amazing this salad is, so you'll just have to trust me and make it for yourself.


It's one of the best things I've ever eaten.  In my life.


My mom got this recipe from a friend, and my mom has been making it all winter.

I can't get enough!


The pomegranate seeds (or arils, if you're fancy) pop with juice and sweetness and tartness, the pistachios are crunchy, the pears are sweet and fresh, the feta is salty, and the dressing...


Oh, the dressing.

Wow.

Pear & Pomegranate Salad
Adapted from Food 52

4 cups baby arugula
4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
Seeds from 1 pomegranate
2 pears, cubed
1/2 cup pistachios, toasted
4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled

Dressing:
2 shallots
2 T pomegranate molasses (can be found at Whole Foods or specialty market; can substitute pomegranate juice)
3 T apple cider vinegar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl.  For the dressing, puree dressing ingredients in a food processor until thick and smooth.  About 10 minutes before serving, pour the dressing on top and toss to coat.

2 comments:

brynn said...

Hi Pithy,
This looks amazing! I really want to make it!! This may be a dumb question but is pomegranate molasses just the juice from the fruit or is it something special I would need to purchase? Also did you mix the dressing by hand? Can't wait to try this!!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Brynn! I must have written this post in a hurry! Sorry for the shabby instructions. I updated them...puree the dressing in a food processor. And pomegranate molasses can be found at Whole Foods (or a similar store) - yes, you could substitute pomegranate juice if you wanted to. Hope you like the salad!