Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Monster Bars

My mom always made monster cookies when I was little. Such remembered flavor  - peanut butter, oats, M&Ms...


A few years ago, I had these Monster Bars and loved them! All of the same flavors in bar form. Easy to make, updated with Mini M&Ms (minis are my fave!!!). It's the little things in life (pun intended).

Go forth and make these. They make a nice big pan so share with your friends (or don't. I'm not here to judge).


One word of caution: do not, I repeat DO NOT overbake these. Your life will not be right if you do. I bake mine for 8 minutes. EIGHT. That's not very long. But you want them BARELY cooked long enough to hold together.

Oh! And one more thing. You're reading the recipe correctly: there's no flour. They wouldn't be monster otherwise!

Monster Bars

1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 T vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups quick-cook oats
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
10-12 oz. Bag mini M&Ms (reserve 1/2 cup for the top)

Beat the butter with sugars until combined. Add peanut butter, vanilla and mix. Add eggs and combine. Add remaining ingredients and combine. Spread into a 10x15 inch baking sheet lined with parchment and sprayed with baking spray. Press to spread the dough evenly. Sprinkle the remaining M&Ms on top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes. Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting (or eat them warm out of the pan. You won't be sorry.)

1 comment:

Shelly said...

These cookies remind me of when I was kid. I am always a sucker for cookies with oatmeal.