Saturday, November 26, 2011

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegrante & Thanksgiving Menu

First I'd like to thank my guinea pigs for this recipe.  I've been having Thanksgiving dinner with these people for as long as I can remember.  They're family to us.  And since you use your family on which to test recipes, I tested this one on them.


Second, I must say that Bobby Flay deserves pretty much all of the credit for this recipe.  My version of these roasted Brussels sprouts is heavily dependent on and deeply inspired by his version.


There.  Go make this NOW.

I started with the pomegranates, because I had never even bought pomegranates before.  I had seen them in the produce section and looked at them longingly, but I didn't know what to do with them.


Answers: make this dish.


Treat the pomegranates gently.  The seeds will squirt juice all over your kitchen.  Oh, and there are 613 seeds (there are also 613 Mitzot - tell me that's a coincidence) in each pomegranate.


Go ahead.  I'll wait while you count them.

If you think you hate Brussels sprouts, roast them.  It's like not even the same vegetable.  YUM!  I've been making roasted Brussels sprouts for years, but the pomegranate molasses, seeds, and vanilla-hazelnut butter really takes it to the next level.


I love cabbage, so having miniature cabbages on my plate makes me smile.


Okay, on the pomegranate molasses.  I have no idea where you buy it except for here:


which is where I got mine.  But in case you're not in the Atlanta area, you could either check at a Whole Foods-type market or just make your own.  Apparently Alton Brown has a reliable recipe.

This hazelnut-vanilla butter is very good, too...and would be yummy on pancakes.


Looks like Christmas on a plate!


Definitely make this soon.  It has replaced green beans on our Thanksgiving menu, and I just might make it again for Christmas.

Just in case you're curious, here is our Thanksgiving menu.  You're welcome.  Now you have a year to plan for next Thanksgiving.

Roasted turkey and gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Dressing
Corn Pudding
Sweet Potato Casserole
Broccoli Casserole
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate
Rolls
Pretzel Salad
Derby Pie
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate

2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and sliced in half
3 T olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
Seeds from 1 pomegranate
Zest from 1 orange
Vanilla-Hazelnut Butter

Vanilla-Hazelnut Butter
4 T butter, softened to room temperature
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste (or a couple drops of vanilla extract)

For the butter: Combine butter, hazelnuts and vanilla bean paste.  Refrigerate for at least an hour.

Toss the Brussels sprouts in the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.  Roast for 25 minutes in a 400 degree oven.  Toss with the pomegranate molasses and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.  Add the pomegranate seeds, orange zest and mix.  Dot the vanilla-hazelnut butter on top of the hot Brussels sprouts and serve immediately.

No comments: