Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Waldorf Salad with Pralines


Years ago, I had this Waldorf salad unlike any other Waldorf salad.  (Until that point, I think I had eaten one Waldorf salad.  But whatever.)


It was special because instead of just plain ol' pecans, it used pralines.  Yes, I know, my life is very exciting.


And since I've had nothing to do lately but unpack a whole house while entertaining two toddlers, I thought of that salad.


And then, since I have nothing to do, I ran multiple Google searches trying to find the recipe.  I'm pretty sure it was a Southern Living recipe (of course), but SL has let me down, because I cannot find it anywhere.


Just so you know, I did draw the line at flipping through the past nine years of my Southern Living cookbooks.  I have limits, you know.


I am the most inspired when I have the least time to concoct my inspirations.


So, after I wasted time searching for a recipe that apparently doesn't exist except in my imagination, I came up with this.

Hope you love it.  Because I did.  I ate the almost whole thing, so I guess I loved it.  Those things aren't always synonymous in my life.


Oh, and use the most gigantic bowl you own.  This makes a whole lot of Waldorf salad.


Waldorf Salad with Pralines


8 apples, chopped (I used an assortment of Honey Crisp, Granny Smith, and Red Delicious)
1 1/2 cups small-dice celery
2 cups red grapes, cut in half if they are large
3/4 cup raisins
10 oz. pecan pralines, roughly chopped

Dressing:

3/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
3 T honey
1/4 cup sugar
Juice from 1 lemon
Pinch of kosher salt

In a very large bowl, toss together the apples, celery, grapes and raisins.  Whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, honey, sugar, lemon juice, and salt.   Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.  This is best if you refrigerate for at least a couple of hours to allow the flavors to blend.  Before serving, top with the pralines.  Serve chilled.

No comments: