Sunday, August 19, 2012

Grilled Korean Flank Steak

So there's a restaurant in Lexington that is amazing.


It's called Nick Ryan's.

Not that I will probably actually get to go there ever again, but it was so great when I did go, I'm still living off the memory.

And I ate flank steak there.  And when the flank steak was gone, I licked my plate.


It seemed like an appropriate thing to do at the time.

This steak is similar to what I ordered.  The only part that is not similar to my "at-home" experience was the atmosphere.

Read: there were no screaming (albeit adorable) children running circles around my table at Nick Ryan's.


Okay, so the steak.  I need to make a disclaimer: I'm not going to pretend that this is authentic recipe for Korean flank steak.  Because I have no idea, really.  Maybe it is, maybe it's not.  But it's really good, and that's what matters, right?

You're going to marinate the steak overnight in a soy sauce/rice wine vinegar/garlic marinade.  One of flank steak's faults is that it can be tough...but marinating it in this combo will ensure that it's super tender.


I actually couldn't believe how tender it was.

It's so yum...the sweetness combined with the saltiness, garlicky-ness, and vinegary-ness...


But there are three rules that you must follow when you make flank steak.  Flank steak is an inexpensive cut,  and you have to treat it just right or you'll never be able to chew it up.  Just a fair warning.

First: don't cook it past medium-rare (this is my policy for any steak, but it's absolutely necessary for flank steak).  If you have issues and need to cook meat past medium rare, just throw a hamburger on the grill and burn it.


Second: let it rest for at least 10 minutes after you take it off the grill.  (This is also an important thing for anything grilled.)


Third: cut it into thin strips against the grain.  This also will ensure that it is tender.

Flank steak has great flavor but these things are important to make sure it's not tough.

Okay!  I think we're good now.  Hope you like the flank steak.

Grilled Korean Flank Steak

1 1/2 - 2 lb. flank Steak

Marinade:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 onion, peeled and grated
4 garlic cloves, grated
2 T grated fresh ginger
2 T sesame oil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

For serving: 3 green onions, sliced thin

Add marinade ingredients to a large food storage bag and squish the bag to incorporate the ingredients.  Add the flank steak and marinate for at least 8 hours or overnight.  Turn over occasionally to make sure both sides of the meat get adequate time in the marinade.

Remove steak from marinade and grill on a hot grill for about 3 minutes on each side.  Remember, we need the steak to be medium-rare.  Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes after removing it from the grill.  Slice against the grain into thin strips.  Sprinkle green onions on top.

No comments: