Saturday, April 13, 2013

Lemon Brownies


Can lemon bars be described as "fudgy"?


Or does the word "fudgy" only describe chocolate?


A Google search would probably reveal the answer.


But I'm too tired.


And since this is my blog, I'll call anything fudgy that I want to describe as fudgy.


I like the word fudgy.



On an unrelated note, I have no idea why I baked these lemon brownies in a disposable baking dish.  That is so weird that I did that.


So the bottom line is that you want these lemon bars to be fudgy.  And the bottom line of that is don't overbake them.


"Don't overbake it" might be the bottom line of this blog.


Goodnight.

Lemon Brownies
Adapted from Becky Charms

1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
Zest of 2 lemons (about 2-3 teaspoons)
2 T lemon juice
1 tsp lemon extract
3/4 cup flour

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice (or enough to make a thick pourable glaze)

In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar.  Add the egg and incorporate.  Add the salt, lemon zest, juice and extract.  Mix until smooth.  Add the flour and mix until just incorporated.  Be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to fully incorporate.

Pour batter in a greased 8x8 baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-22 minutes.  Do not overbake - you want these to be "fudgy" and they will be dry if you bake too long.  If you insert a toothpick, it should come out with a few crumbs sticking to it.

Whisk together the glaze ingredients and pour half on top.  Cool to room temperature and pour the other half of the glaze on top.  Let the glaze harden before cutting.  I refrigerated mine before slicing so they would slice easier.

No comments: