Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Food Blog

You know the saying that everyone has a novel inside of them?

I'm pretty sure it's true. I have a novel.

I just can't get it to come out. It's very frustrating, really.

So, since my novel is stuck inside and can't come out right now, I choose to blog.

It's the modern thing to do.

And since I'm such a modern girl, it seemed appropriate.

Okay, here's the truth. I took my last law school final a couple of weeks ago and I've sort of been going crazy. I thought I would feel so relieved when I graduated, but all I feel is restless. And just a little relieved.

So why don't I get a job, you ask. I mean, did I really just spend four years torturing myself in law school for nothing? The reasons are threefold: my 14-month-old, my 3-year-old, and my husband. They all love having me at home. Oh, and it's pretty much been my life's dream to be a stay-at-home mom, so I guess that makes four reasons.

So why did I go to law school, you ask. I wish I had a cohesive answer for this one. I went because I thought it was what I was supposed to do. I know that's not a very satisfactory answer. Someday I'll practice law.

But right now my job is caring for, playing with, and loving on two little blonde girls. And I couldn't be happier.

Except for this nagging feeling that I should be doing something. Like blogging about food. So here you have it, Pithy's Kitchen, an obvious play on my other blog, Pithy in Pink, the one I started in law school because I needed an outlet for the intensity that attending law school created. And Pithy in Pink helped me in that way. And now this food blog is going to help me recover from law school. Who knew Blogger offered free online therapy?

But back to the food blog idea. I need to make a disclaimer. I'm not a chef. I realize that the only people who will even read this already know this about me, but I felt it necessary to say. See? I've been in the law school bubble too long, where all the warnings in the world are simply not enough and someone will find a way to sue you and win. But back to my disclaimer: I'm not a food expert. For example, I've never even purchased lamb, much less cooked with it. And the first time I attempted a strawberry layer cake, it was a total flop, and I haven't tried it since. And if a recipe calls for a certain type of liqueur, my brain automatically sorts that ingredient - it's like I don't even register its existence - because I simply refuse to fill my limited pantry space with a bunch of bottles of alcohol that I'm going to use one tablespoon at a time and whose only purpose is to make a recipe ingredient list look pretentious and the addition of which serves no purpose in the actual dish itself.

But cooking is my one creative outlet and my family members are great sports to let me try new things out on them. I read a lot of cookbooks and cook pretty much every day. And I'm a borderline Food Network junkie. So there you have it.

Alrighty then. That was longer than I intended: anything but "pithy." So, thank you for joining me! Cook with me! I love feedback so leave a comment and tell me what you think!

4 comments:

Imagination Station said...

Liz, I'm so happy you have started this! You definitely have a gift with words and FOOD! Love, Jules

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, I always enjoy reading your blogs. We have a lot in common, you know! I agree that staying home with your 2 little girls is the most important thing you can do right now. I can't tell you how many puzzled looks I get when I tell people I went to law school but I am a stay home Mom of 2 baby girls now..lol. I would not have it any other way. Nicole (Martin) Greer

Unknown said...

Dirt without worms is just wrong!

It has been a wild 4-year long roller coaster ride and I'm glad I had the opportunity to share the experience with you! A bit scary that the boredom has set in already with finals being over for only a few weeks! I was wondering how long that would take. Congrats on graduating :)

I look forward to reading future posts here and I'll have to check out Pithy in Pink too!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Julie!

Nicole, we do have a lot in common! Isn't it so fun to have two baby girls??? :)

Denise - if you like to ruin dirt with worms, go right ahead. :) So glad we had class together last semester - I miss you! Hope your summer goes well - I know you're ready to be done too!