Monday, July 11, 2011

Pea Salad

It's officially salad week on Pithy's Kitchen!  Or is it in Pithy's Kitchen?

I think it's both.

Now I'm confused. 

Anyway, let's make some salad!

I bet you thought I didn't eat salad, didn't you? 

Well, I do. 

I just make sure that my salads have cheese in them.  Or mayonnaise. 

My first salad has both.  We're off to a good start.

Notice that I did not call this healthy Salad Week.  Just Salad Week.

So let's make a pea salad.  This is adapted from Jamie Deen's recipe. 

I saw it, I made it, I ate it, I loved it.

Repeat.

Take two cups of petite frozen peas. 
Put them in a bowl and cover them with hot water straight from the tap.



We're not cooking; we're thawing.  And thus preserving all the nutrients peas have to offer.  This might be a healthy salad after all.

While the peas are thawing, put three eggs into a saucepan and cover them with cold water.  Yes, I can count.  I said use three eggs.


Put them on the stove, bring them to a boil, put the lid on, turn off the heat and set the timer for 15 minutes.

This method is the easiest way to make hard-boiled eggs without the yummy gray-ringed yolks. 

While the eggs cook, fry up some bacon.  Half a pound.  Gulp.

And now the peas should be thawed.  Drain them very well and grate a cup of cheddar cheese directly into them.


That mound of cheese completely covers the peas that are somewhere under there.  I might have used slightly more than a cup of cheese.

Oh well.  That's just how I roll.  Oh, and I like to use a fine grater because I like finely-grated cheese. 

When the bacon is crisp and drained, crumble it into the salad.



Now add some mayo - only about 1/4 cup.  You really won't need more than that.

And add the juice of half of a lemon.  And a generous amount of pepper.  And some sugar and Dijon.

No need for salt because the bacon is salty and the cheese is salty.  I told you this salad might be healthy after all.  It doesn't even have salt in it!

And now for the eggs! 

Drain the hot water and run cold water over the eggs in the pan.  Gently smack the eggs on the counter and roll them around so that the shell cracks and starts to peel off.  Under the running water, peel off the shell. 

I like to mash them with a fork.  But you can grate, chop or crumble them if you like.



Some of my eggs tried to escape off the plate.  But don't worry.  I captured it all.

And that's it.  Stir it up.  This salad is awesome at room-temperature.  Or you can chill it before you eat it.

But it's never lasted that long at my house.

It's not the most beautiful salad in the world, but it's one of the tastiest.



So glad you're here for Salad Week!

Pea Salad
Adapted from Jamie Deen

2 cups frozen petite green peas
3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and mashed finely with a fork
1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp pepper

Place the peas in a bowl and cover them with the hottest tap water. When the peas have thawed, drain them well and return them to the bowl.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.  Serve immediately at room temperature or chill before serving.

No comments: