Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cornbread Spoonbread

Do y'all know what spoonbread is?

Well, if you don't, that's okay.  Because it's exactly what it sounds like it is.

This is spoonbread with a twist - a cornbread twist.  Welcome to the south, where life is sweet.  Literally.


You see, this was totally Katie's idea.  She called me because she had made black bean soup, sans the jalapenos.  And she served it with cornbread that she cooked until it was just set.  So it was like spoonbread.  She said it was awesome.  So, being compulsive and all, I had to try it.


The results: even better than I can tell you.



And you'll have to eat at least two pieces to decide if it's cornbread or if it's spoonbread.  You won't be able to decide.  So you'll have to eat another piece.

I made it so I get to cut a middle piece if I want to.
And put butter on it to see if that makes your decision any easier.


Let me know what you decide.

Because if you don't agree that this cornbread/spoonbread is simply delicious, I'll block you from my blog.  And that's all I've got to say about that.

Cornbread Spoonbread


1 stick butter, melted
1 cup sour cream
2 T sugar
8 oz. box corn muffin mix (Jiffy)
5 green onions, sliced thin
8 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
15 oz. cream-style corn
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients.  Pour into a greased 8x8 baking dish.  Bake for 45-50 minutes in a 350 degree oven, until the middle is just set.  You want it to be slightly doughy and sticky in the middle.  Let it sit for about 15 minutes before you cut it into squares and serve with butter.  It may fall apart as you serve it, but that is the nature of spoonbread.  Honey butter would be delicious on this.

1 comment:

Katie Pinkston said...

I also poured the Black Bean soup over the "spoon bread" to eat them together...delish!