Friday, October 7, 2011

Roasted Red Peppers

I went to the grocery to get milk.  And I was greeted by red bell peppers.  I mean, they were everywhere.  And they were cheap.  Like, super cheap.

So I bought a bag.  And then I went to get milk.  Right after I stocked up on candy corn.
Do you exhibit strange behavior at the grocery store too?
Must be just me.  
Why are we always talking about my bizarre behavior?  Next time we're going to talk about the weird things you do. 
I didn't feel like making a salad with the peppers.  Remember, I'm going crazy with soup right now.  So a salad just doesn't fit with who I am this week.  So I came home and roasted these red peppers.
This is ridiculously easy and costs about 1/3 as much as buying jarred roasted red peppers.  Plus they taste better.
Wash the peppers.  And then cut them in half from top to bottom.




And lay them on a baking sheet, cut side down.




Stick 'em under the broiler.


And watch them closely.
I was watching to make sure my parchment paper didn't catch on fire.  It didn't, but if my rack had been any closer to the broiler, it probably would have.
Just don't burn down your kitchen.
Here the peppers are after about 6 minutes...


See how the skin is just beginning to blister?
And about 10 minutes...


And they were done after 20 minutes.


Let them sit until they are cool enough to handle.  And then just pull the skin off and remove the seeds.  Now you have a pile of skins/seeds and a plate of beautiful homemade roasted red peppers.



Simple.
Are you proud of yourself?    
Roasted Red Peppers
2 red bell peppers
Wash peppers.  Slice peppers in half from top to bottom.  Place cut side down on a baking sheet.  Broil for about 20 minutes, watching closely, until the skins are black.  Remove from oven and let the peppers cool to room temperature.  Peel the skin off and remove the seeds and stems.  Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

No comments: