Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chai Tea


I've been obsessed with chai tea lately.  Positively obsessed.

But the boxes of chai tea that you heat with milk become a little expensive after, say, ten or twenty boxes.

Told you I was obsessed.




So My friend Bethany came to visit, and she loves chai tea just as much as I do.  So I had a great reason to make the real deal!  Like, homemade!


Sort of.


So Bethany and I drank chai tea and talked about life.


It was so much fun.


Did you know that chai tea has black pepper in it!?!  No wonder I love it so much.


And since I don't make New Year's resolutions, I'm free to continue drinking chai tea every night of my life.

Chai Tea
Adapted from Southern Living


1 T ground ginger
1 T ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups instant unsweetened tea
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup dry powdered milk
1 cup original-flavored nondairy creamer
1 cup nondairy French vanilla-flavored creamer

Add the spices and the instant tea to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.  Process until finely ground, about 1 minute.  Pour the mixture into a separate large bowl.  Do not clean the bowl of the food processor and add the sugar and powdered milk to the bowl.  Process for a minute.  (This allows the sugar and milk to clean all spices out of the bowl.)  Add the sugar/milk to the spice/tea mixture.  Add the two creamers to the sugar and spice mixture.  Use a whisk to combine.  To make chai tea, heat 1 1/2 cups milk or water.  Stir in two heaping tablespoons of chai tea mix.

4 comments:

Katie Pinkston said...

I keep meaning to tell you how much I love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth! How many cups of tea can you make from the mix?

Jenna

Elizabeth said...

Jenna,

The mix makes a LOT - about 25-30 cups of chai tea!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe! Kathie gave me a box of chai tea & I love it!!!! However I just can't bring myself to pay $22 for 12 little packets, so your recipe has answered my prayers :-) Can't wait to try it out soon! Hope the boards go well!

Lisa