Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Italian Breakfast Casserole


If you don't know by now how much I love breakfast, then you must be new round these here parts.

I love it.  But the thing is, I rarely make breakfast food during actual breakfast time.  I usually am making brunch, lunch or supper when I cook breakfast.


Are you confused?

Anyway.  I often make breakfast for Sunday lunch, too.


Like, every week.

Good thing my family loves breakfast, too.


I guess our kids will grow up thinking that it's normal to have scrambled eggs for dinner, and waffles for lunch after church.

So this casserole is my take on the Bunny's Italian sausage casserole.  Except that I applied some important principles that my mom taught me: if it calls for cheese, double it.


I hope to pass the same values to my children.

You'll love this.  The crescent roll crust is so good.  This is a yummy casserole.

Italian Breakfast Casserole

8 oz. package crescent rolls (use the seamless sheets if you can)
1 lb. turkey sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained
8 oz. package shredded Mozzarella cheese
8 oz. package shredded Italian blend cheese
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano

Unroll the crescent roll in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish.  Press the dough lightly, making sure that it reaches the corners and sides.  Sprinkle the cooked sausage on top, evenly distributing it.  Sprinkle the cheese on top.  Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and oregano.  Pour it on top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, until just set. If it starts to get too brown on top, cover it with foil until it is cooked through.

No comments: