Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Easy Lemon Curd

For the first time in my life, I doubted Southern Living.


I mean, I never doubt Southern Living.  That would just be wrong.


Southern Living is basically always right.  About recipes, anyway.  They have a whole slew of people that test recipes - over and over and over - before they're published.  It would be hard for them to go wrong.


But lemon curd in the microwave?

Come on.


No way.

I wanted to believe that it could work.  Really.  I did.  Because I love lemon curd.  But standing at the stove, stirring it, over low heat (so it doesn't curdle and ruin), for 15 minutes, is simply annoying.


So.  I tried the microwave method.


I'm a convert.  Totally.

The curd (could we think of a more appealing name to call it please?) is creamy, thick, smooth, simply perfect.  Everything you'd want your lemon curd to be.


Now I have a new problem.  This recipe is so easy that I'll be making lemon curd.  A lot.  It'll probably become a staple in my fridge, because it keeps for weeks.  And I love it with yogurt and fruit.


Or on a spoon.

Note: my only beef with Southern Living on this recipe is that it states that it will make 2 cups.  Mine yielded 3 3/4 cups.  Must just be a misprint, and too much lemon curd is never bad problem to have, though!

Easy Lemon Curd
Heavily adapted from Southern Living

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 cup lemon juice (from 6-8 lemons)
2 T lemon zest (from 4-6 lemons)
4 eggs

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar.  Beat with the paddle attachment until the butter and sugar are a uniform mixture (this will take 1-2 minutes).  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition just until the egg is incorporated.  Turn the mixer to low and add the lemon juice and zest.  Scrape the bottom of the bowl to make sure the mixture is combined.  It will look curdled.

Transfer the mixture to a large microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring at 1-minute intervals.

Microwave for an additional 2 minutes, stirring at 30-second intervals.  You'll know it's done when it coats the back of a wooden spoon, and when you draw a finger across the spoon, the curd "holds a line" (the curd won't run, but will be thick enough to hold the line).  Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the curd to keep a skin from forming as it cools.  Place in the refrigerator and chill before serving.

No comments: