Friday, March 1, 2013

Curried Couscous Salad

Last week, I was pretty sure that I had run out of recipe ideas.


I was done.

I had cooked everything I wanted to cook.

I had no original thoughts or ideas.


And then came this week.

And this salad.


It's a combo of two different recipes I found on Pinterest and Barefoot's version of curried couscous.

It's amazing.  My husband loved it.  My kids even liked it. (It has raisins. They love raisins.)


It's good warm, room temp, and cold.  It didn't last long in our house, and I'll be making it again soon.

Thanks to Trader Joe's, I found a big box of couscous for a good price.  And because I'm so healthy and all, I bought the whole wheat kind.


And can I just tell you that I love the sweetness of the raisins with the crunch of the nuts and the teensy-tiny pearls of couscous and the curry and the garlic and ALL THE FLAVORS ARE JUST SO AMAZING!


I'm screaming.  I know.  It's just that you need to make this.  Because it's really good.

Curried Couscous Salad

2 T olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups couscous (I used whole wheat)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 T curry powder

1/2 tsp turmeric
1 3/4 cups chicken stock
1 cup raisins 
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used nonfat)
4-6 scallions, chopped
1 cup pine nuts, toasted

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for about 6-8 minutes, until the onion begins to soften.  Add the couscous, salt, pepper, curry powder and turmeric. Stir it around and toast the couscous and spices for about 3 minutes or so.  Stir it frequently though so the couscous doesn't burn!

Add the chicken stock and raisins and bring it to a boil.  As soon as it comes to a boil, cover it and remove it from the heat.  Let it rest for 5 minutes before fluffing it with a fork and transferring it to a large bowl.  Add the Greek yogurt, scallions, nuts and cilantro.  Stir well and serve it warn, at room temperature or cold.  Keeps well in the fridge for a few days.

No comments: