Monday, March 11, 2013

Lemon Chicken

I love lemon.

Lemon bars, lemonade, lemon chicken, lemon pasta, lemon curd...


The list goes on.


So of course I had to try Barefoot's Lemon Chicken breasts.




And I had to add a little more lemon juice to make them even more lemony.


Because that's just how I roll.


The marinade creates a sauce for the chicken...it's just beyond delicious.  I cut the chicken off the bone, spooned more sauce on top, and then I even spooned the sauce over the steamed broccoli on the side!


This sauce is just as garlicky as it is lemony, which works for me.  The heat of the oven cooks the garlic, making it sweet and not too overpowering.


Next time I will serve it with couscous to catch even more of the delicious lemony sauce.


Go forth and make lemon chicken. And this summer we'll have to make lemon bars.  I can't wait.

Lemon Chicken
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa

4 chicken breasts, bone-in, skin on
1 T olive oil
Juice of 3 lemons (about 1/3 cup)
Zest from 2 lemons
1/3 cup white wine
1/4 cup minced garlic (about 10 cloves or so)
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano

Whisk together all ingredients except the chicken breasts in a 9x13 baking dish.  Lay the chicken breasts on top, skin side down, and spoon the marinade over the chicken.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (6-8 hours if possible).

About 30 minutes before you want to start cooking the chicken, remove it from the refrigerator.  Use tongs to turn the chicken over (you want to bake it skin side up).  Once again spoon the marinade over the top of the chicken.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through (cooking time depends on thickness/size of chicken breasts).

To serve, I pulled the skin off and cut the chicken breast off the bone with steamed broccoli on the side.  Extra sauce spooned over chicken and broccoli!  Delicious!

No comments: