Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tiramisu

I absolutely love tiramisu.


I. Mean. Love.  As in adore.

But.  My husband does not like it.  Because he does not like coffee.  And, of course, tiramisu contains coffee.


So I rarely make this yummy dessert!

BUT.  I invited my Bible study to my house for dessert...and I made tiramisu.

It was a fun excuse to make this dessert that I love!  And, since I had friends to share, I didn't have to eat the entire recipe by myself.

That was a relief.

This is easy.  Use your mixer to whisk together egg yolks and sugar until they transform into this light, thick and fluffy mixture.


Eggs are so weird.  In such a good way.  They do so many different things!  They are a truly amazing food.


Now whisk in the mascarpone cheese, vanilla and 1/4 cup coffee.  So here's the thing about mascarpone.  It's normally very expensive.  But I found it at Trader Joe's...for like 1/2 the price.


I really love Trader Joe's.


And so now you just have to dip the ladyfingers (I found these at Meijer on the Italian food aisle) quickly in the coffee and place a layer in an 8x8 dish.


Cover with a layer of custard.


Now repeat.


And don't forget to dust cocoa powder on each layer!


So good.  So creamy.  Sweet, delicious dessert.


Tiramisu means "pick me up."  I think I learned that on 30-Minute Meals.


Aren't you glad you know that now too.


Tiramisu
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa

6 egg yolks, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
16 oz. mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups strong coffee (or expresso), at room temperature
7 oz. savoiardi (Italian ladyfingers)
1/4 cup cocoa powder

In a the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the sugar and egg yolks on high speed for about 5 minutes.  The mixture should be pale yellow, very thick, considerably increased in size (double to triple the size), and fall back on itself in a ribbon when you lift the beater up.

Add the mascarpone cheese, vanilla and 1/4 cup coffee.  Whisk until incorporated.

Pour the remaining cup of coffee into a shallow dish.  Dunk the ladyfingers into the coffee and cover the bottom of an 8x8 dish.  Pour 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture on top.  Sprinkle with cocoa powder.  Repeat twice more, ending with the mascarpone mixture.  Top with another sprinkle of cocoa.

Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.  Cut into squares and serve.

No comments: