Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Peanut Butter-Marshmallow Brownies

I wrote this post a few months ago, when Baby Bear was a wee babe.  


I once asked my mom if a person could live without a brain.


The answer, of course, was no.

I believed her.  But now I have realized that she was wrong.

Crust ingredients.
How do I know this?  Well, I'm living proof.  You can indeed live without a brain.  And I know this because I no longer have a brain.


This loss occurred during or around the birth of Baby Bear.  Since his birth, I have done numerous things that make me question my competence as a human being.


Proof:

1. I can find nothing at any given time.  (Excepting my children, fortunately.  This is at least true at the time I wrote this.)  The moral of the story: give me nothing that you would like to ever see again.


2. I forget everything unless it is written down.  So I write things down.  But then I can't find the paper on which I wrote them.  The moral of the story: tell me nothing important/urgent that needs to be accomplished.


3. I can no longer read anything without getting confused.  This includes recipes, mail, news articles and comic strips.  The moral of the story: I'm really not sure.  I don't understand Point #3.


4. I would add more to this list but I seem to have forgotten the other 9,997 stupid things I have done in the past month.


It's truly unfortunate.  But I felt obligated to warn you.  Make any future recipes on this site at your own risk.


Consider yourself warned.


But you can believe this: these brownies are yummy.  If you're a fan of peanut butter and chocolate, these are a no-brainer.  Which is good for people walking around without a brain.


Peanut Butter-Marshmallow Brownies
Adapted from Kraft

1 stick (8 T) butter, melted
18.25 oz. package Devil's Food cake mix
2/3 cup milk, divided
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
7 oz. jar marshmallow creme (or you could use 2 cups mini marshmallows)
1 (8 oz.) package Reese's mini peanut butter cups

Mix together 1/3 cup milk, butter and cake mix.  The mixture will be very stiff.  Press 2/3 of the mixture in a greased 9x13 dish.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes (center will be almost set).

Mix together the peanut butter and remaining 1/3 cup milk.  Microwave it for 15 seconds to make it easier to stir and spread.  Spread it on top of the crust (you may need to "dollop" more than spread so the crust doesn't tear).  Dollop marshmallow creme on top.  Top with remaining crumbles of cake mixture.

Bake for about 15-18 minutes until just set. Don't overbake or it will be dry.  As soon as it comes out of the oven, sprinkle the mini peanut butter cups on top.  Cool completely before cutting and serving.

No comments: