Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lemon Butter Bars

Oh, people.


This is yet another variation of Chess Pie Squares (aka Ooey Gooey Buttercake).


I've made toffee butter bars.


Plain ones.


And now I'm making lemon ones.


I made lemon bars because it's almost spring...and I love spring because it means that summer is coming.


Oh, how I love warm weather.  I love cold weather, too, because it reminds me of how much I really appreciate warm weather.


So anyway. Lemon bars.  I love all types.


My mom says these are the best lemon bars she's had.


Make them.  Decide for yourself.


Not a bad way to spend your calories.

Note: I added a few drops of yellow food coloring to the filling.  I don't think it added much color and I won't do it again next time.  But feel free if you like food coloring.

Lemon Butter Bars
Adapted from Six Sisters Stuff

crust:
18.25 oz. lemon cake mix
1 egg
1 stick butter, melted

filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/4 cup lemon juice (1-2 lemons, depending on how big they are)
2 T butter, melted
2 eggs
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp lemon extract

glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
3-4 T lemon juice

Mix together the crust ingredients and press in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish.

Beat together the filling ingredients until smooth and creamy.  Pour on top of the crust and spread evenly with a knife.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes - you want them to be still jiggly when you take them out of the oven.  They will set as they cool and be nice and creamy and gooey!  Let the bars cool for about 30 minutes before you mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice and spread it on top.  Cool completely before cutting and serving.

No comments: