Saturday, June 1, 2013

Oatmeal Caramelitas

These oatmeal cookie-caramel-chocolate bars have been on my Pinterest board since the first day I joined Pinterest.


It was one of my very first pins.  I have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to make them (I know that's weird.  But it's true.)


I finally got around to making them for some friends last week, and they were wonderful!


No surprise there.  I mean, what's not to like.  Oatmeal cookie; caramel; chocolate.  Yes please.



I did adapt the recipe a bit...I reduced the butter (count me as shocked, too) and added salt.  I can't bake without salt.  I considered adding an egg to the cookie dough but didn't...maybe will try that next time.  I don't think it will make a huge difference but should make the dough stick together a little better.

*Note: I did try these with an egg and the dough was easier to handle!


So these were pretty much the perfect dessert.  Chewy, creamy, chocolatey, and great texture from the oatmeal.  Definitely use old-fashioned oats (better texture, better bars).


I'm going to have to come up with an excuse to make these again soon.



Does anyone else think this is plain ridiculous?

Oatmeal Caramelitas
Adapted from Lulu the Baker
1 stick butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
11 oz. package caramel baking bits
1/3 cup cream (or milk, half-and-half or evaporated milk)

Combine the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and egg.  Add the flour and oats and stir to combine.  Press half the mixture in a greased 8x8 baking dish.  The mixture will be crumbly but will come together when you press it in the dish.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes.  Remove and spread the chocolate chips on top.

While the bars bake, in a medium saucepan, combine the caramel and milk (or cream) and stir until melted and smooth.  Pour over the chocolate chips and then crumble the other half of the oatmeal mixture on top.  Bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven and cool completely before slicing into squares.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhhh these look amazing!!!! I can't wait to try this recipe out!

Elizabeth said...

Hope you like them, Lauren!