Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Coconut Rice

I'm supposed to be folding laundry.  There's a mountain of it in my basement.


But, because I love you, I'm sitting at my computer.  I have to tell you about this rice.

Or maybe I'm sitting here because I'm compulsive?  I forget which excuses I've already used.


Whatever the the reason, you've just got to make this rice.



We loved it.  You could serve it with a million different things, but here's what I did:


Grilled chicken (marinated in lime juice, salt & pepper), mango salsa and coconut rice.


I felt like I was on a tropical island.

The rice was sticky and just perfectly coconutty.  It was creamy.  It was sticky (did I already say that?).  I {heart} sticky rice.


So good, my internet friends.  So good.

So simple, too.  Just a can of coconut milk (I used lite), rice, a little brown sugar and some shredded coconut at the end.


I just discovered this frozen shredded sweetened coconut at the grocery store too.  It's my new fave.  (It was with the frozen fruit?)

And here's why I love it: it's shredded super fine.  It's about the length of a grain of rice, which is why it was just perfect to stir into the rice at the end.  It added a slight texture and a little more coconut flavor without being overpowering or making the rice stringy with regular coconut.


It was a win.


Dinner's over.  I have to go finish my laundry now.

Coconut Rice
Adapted from Paula Deen

14 oz. can lite coconut milk (not cream of coconut; just regular unsweetened coconut milk.  you can usually find it on the Asian food aisle)
1 1/3 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice (not quick cook)
2 T packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (about 1/2 of a 6 or 7 oz. package) shredded sweetened coconut (frozen, if you can find it)

Stir together the coconut milk, water, salt, brown sugar and rice in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce to the lowest heat.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed AND the rice is tender (be sure to test the rice to be sure it's done).  Remove from the heat, stir in the frozen coconut (no need to thaw it first) and put the lid back on.  Let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: