Saturday, May 18, 2013

Crispy Tex-Mex Wraps

I warned you that I ate Creamy Cilantro Dressing several times last week.


I already showed you the chopped salad...and here are the wraps I whipped up to dunk in this yummy dressing.


I'm now into wraps.  I'm working on a Thai Chicken Wrap that I'll share soon.


So back to this wrap.  I used Tex-Mex ingredients...black beans, chicken, cilantro, lime juice...wrap it up, toast it like a quesadilla.  Melty cheese, yummy flavors, toasted tortilla...


Ugh.  It was so good.  My husband loved it.  My kids loved it.  I loved it really a lot.


Especially dunked in the cilantro dressing.


My husband ate it with sour cream and salsa, and he loved it that way.


So yeah.  You should make these wraps soon.  You can even mix up the filling, stick it in the fridge, and make the wraps as you need them.  The filling kept for several days and I made the wraps for dinner one night and then the next two days for lunch.


These are not heavy and require very little actual cooking...a perfect summer dinner.


Crispy Tex-Mex Wraps
Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

1 cup cooked rice (I used brown rice but white would work too)
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
Juice of 2 limes
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
8 oz. can corn, drained
1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 bunch (about 6-8 onions) green onions, sliced thin
3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
8 large flour tortillas (burrito size)

Serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole and/or creamy cilantro dressing

Combine all ingredients except for 1 cup of cheese and the tortillas.  Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese evenly over the tortillas, leaving about a 1" border around the edge of the tortilla.  Place about a heaping half cup filling in the middle of the tortilla (you want enough filling to make a generous wrap but not so much that you can't close the tortilla) and tuck the sides in first then roll the top and bottom in to make a roll.  Flatten it a little bit then place the wrap seam side down in a dry nonstick skillet.  Place a smaller skillet on top of the wrap to weight it while it cooks and toast for about 5 minutes on each side over medium heat.

No comments: