Thursday, May 9, 2013

Enchilada Stack

Hi!  I am happy to show you this meal.  I've made it twice, two weeks in a row.  And that is saying something, because I don't repeat meals very often.  And when I do repeat it's definitely not that close together.


So this is basically enchiladas, but instead of rolled, they're stacked.  And instead of red sauce we'll use green salsa.

Now, you can go the store-bought route and get tomatillo salsa (this is what I did).


But if you're really feeling it, you can make your own tomatillo salsa.  This is my recipe and it's really great.  I think it makes about 2 cups (which is what you'll need for this recipe) but I haven't actually tried it so I'm not positive.  (So what I'm saying is that if you do try it and it doesn't make quite enough, don't yell at me.)


I also like this recipe because it only makes an 8x8 dish.  This is a good amount because it feeds 4-6 people (6 if two of the people are preschoolers).  So many times I make enchiladas and it makes a gigantic pan.  And then we're eating enchiladas for several days and I get impatient because I have like 60 million recipes I want to try.


Welcome to my world.  Where the problems are big and the solution is food.

I wish I had taken more pictures of the finished product.  So good.  Cheesy, tangy (the salsa is awesome), so very delicious.  Very easy, too, because it doesn't matter too much how you layer this together - as long as everything gets in there, you're good.

Please make these soon.

Enchilada Stack
Adapted from Pearls & Handcuffs

6 flour tortillas (I used the small ones - soft taco size, I think)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
8 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
16 oz. salsa verde (about 2 cups) (this is also called tomatillo salsa)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
Sour cream and pico de gallo (or red salsa), for serving.

Spray an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Sprinkle in about 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the chopped green onions and 1/3 of the garlic.  Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 cup salsa on top.  Layer 2 tortillas on top.  Repeat layers.  Sprinkle remaining salsa and cheese on top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly and beginning to brown on top.  Let it cool for about 5-10 minutes before slicing.  Serve with sour cream and pico de gallo.

No comments: