Friday, May 24, 2013

Thai Chicken Wraps

I have a whole list of things to post but I just bumped these wraps to the front of the list.


They were that good.

I made them for dinner tonight...we LOVED them!


I smashed two recipes together and this is the result.


There are a few steps, but they can be done ahead and then all wrapped together when you're ready to eat.


First, marinate the chicken for a few hours.  It was an amazingly flavorful marinade...and very quick and easy to whip together.


You'll need cilantro, limes and this little jar of red curry paste.  I found the curry paste on the Asian aisle at the regular grocery store.  I thought it might be spicy, but it wasn't.  (I would have liked a little more spice but didn't add red pepper flakes because my husband isn't as spicy as me.)  But it did give a great flavor and color to the chicken as it marinated.  So don't skip the red curry paste!


The chicken will tenderize as it cooks (thanks to the lime juice).  I cut the chicken into strips before tossing it into the marinade so that it would grill up super quick when I was ready.


While the chicken marinates, you can whip up the sauce.  The peanut sauce.  Ugh.  This sauce is beyond anything I can even describe.  So amazing.


I adore fresh ginger, and this sauce is packed with it.  Plus brown sugar, peanut butter (no, we're not making cookies here), garlic and more red curry sauce (I told you to get it!).


You can use a food processor to make the sauce (it'll make it super smooth) or you can just grate the ginger, garlic and shallot and whisk the sauce together.  I just used a whisk.



When you're ready to eat, grill the chicken (it cooks fast because it's cut into strips).



Now to build - layer the chicken, sauce, tons of fresh veggies, cilantro and peanuts in a wrap (I just used a large tortilla).  You could also use Bibb lettuce instead of a tortilla.


Please make these.  And please tell me if you love them.  And if you don't love them...well, just keep that to yourself.



Thai Chicken Wraps
Inspired by Rachael Ray and Simply So Good

Chicken:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3-4 strips each
1 bunch cilantro leaves, minced
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 red pepper flakes
1 T red curry paste (on the Asian aisle)

Peanut Sauce:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup hot water
1 T red curry paste
2 T brown sugar
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 shallot, grated
2 T grated fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced

For Assembling the Wraps:
4 large (burrito-size) flour tortillas
1 seedless cucumber, sliced in half and then sliced into thin half-moons
1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
2 large carrots, peeled and grated
1/3 cup peanuts

Mix the marinade ingredients in a gallon freezer bag.  Add the chicken and coat the pieces well.  Refrigerate for at least 6 hours (up to 12 hours).  Grill the chicken until cooked through when you are ready to assemble the wraps.

While the chicken marinates, whisk together the ingredients for the peanut sauce.  You can blend it in a food processor if you want it to be very smooth.

To assemble, layer the chicken and veggies in the middle of a tortilla.  Top with plenty of sauce and sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts.  Wrap and enjoy!

No comments: