Saturday, August 3, 2013

Green Rice

Finally!  Here is the green rice I served with the jerk chicken and pineapple salsa.


I used to make this rice regularly, but then I had kids and forgot about this rice.


I wonder what else I've forgotten that I don't even know that I forgot.

My husband and I loved this rice when I used to make it a few years ago!  And we loved it again when I whipped it out last week.


And my kids loved it.  But my kids really love rice, so I wasn't surprised that they scarfed it down.

Don't be deceived by the poblano peppers - they're not "sicy," as Middle Sis says.  They give the rice great flavor and color without heat.


So you want to toast the rice in the pan with a little bit of oil, and then you want to make the green broth in the food processor.


Just whir together the onion, peppers, garlic and cilantro with half of the chicken stock.


Then strain the pureed pepper/cilantro mixture directly into the rice pan.

Voila!  Green rice.  This rice is really great with enchiladas, too.  But then again, what isn't.

I know the rice doesn't look green in this picture.  Blame the camera or the photographer, but trust me, the rice is green in real life.

Happy Weekend, y'all!

Green Rice
Adapted from Creating a Stir

1 onion, peeled and quartered
2 poblano peppers, seeded, deveined and quartered
3 garlic cloves
1 bunch cilantro
2 cups chicken stock, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1 T olive oil
1 cup long-grain white rice

Place the onion, poblanos, garlic, cilantro and one cup of chicken stock into the bowl of a food processor and puree.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan.  Toast the rice over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently (don't let it burn!).  Stir in the second cup of chicken stock and the salt.  Place a strainer over the pot and pour in the pureed green mixture, letting the liquid drain into the rice.

Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes until the rice is cooked through and the liquid is absorbed.

No comments: