Thursday, September 19, 2013

Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

In an effort to keep it real here in Pithy's Kitchen, I need to tell you that I've not been very inspired lately.


At all.

We've eaten things from the freezer. Lately, a lot.

And sometimes I'll try to make leftovers seem really fun.  I'll pull everything out of the refrigerator and say something like: "You get to choose your own dinner tonight!"


My kids think it's fun.  My husband sees right through my scheme.  Fortunately, he is sweet.

I've been preoccupied.  With, um...things like...kindergarten.  Yes, that must be the reason that I can't think of anything fun to cook.


But!  Pinterest prevails.  Yet again.


These granola bars?  Top-notch.  Really.


It's taking me forever to write this post because I keep getting up to cut myself another one.


I'm just going to finish this post now so I can go finish the pan.


Bye.

Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Adapted from Once Upon a Chef

6 T butter
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick-cook oats (not old-fashioned or instant oats; use the 1-minute quick cook kind)
2 cups Rice Krispies
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Melt the butter, honey, dark brown sugar and salt together in a small saucepan.  Bring to a low simmer and cook for about a minute.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, rice krispy cereal and wheat germ.  Pour the syrup over the mixture and stir to combine.

Press into a 9x13 dish lined with parchment paper.  Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly on top and press lightly so they will stick to the top of the granola bar.  Chill in the refrigerator for about an hour or cool on the counter for a couple of hours before slicing.

No comments: