Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Roasted Summer Veggies

We're in full swing of kindergarten-schedule adjustment 'round here.  Thankfully it's only half-day!  I don't think I would survive a whole day.  First grade is going to be a rude awakening.


And when I say "we're adjusting," I mean "we."  Literally.  All of us.  Well, except for Baby Bear.  He's adaptable.  He goes with the flow.  He rides along and blows bubbles and giggles at his sisters.  It's the life, I tell you.

Speaking of Baby Bear, he just turned one!  A whole year.  I ate chocolate cake in celebration.  And Baby Bear?  Well, he now gets to eat peanut butter.  Do I even need to tell you how much he loves it.


And he's supposed to drink whole milk.  He says no thanks.  About ten times a day.  Hmmm.  He's still nursing, which is probably partly why he won't drink a cup of cow's milk.  He swats it away every time I pull it out of the fridge.


I'm receiving suggestions if you have any.  My girls didn't love milk when they turned one, but this boy has taken it to another level.


And so on a completely unrelated note, I roasted veggies for dinner the other night.  We all enjoyed it.  Baby Bear popped the little chopped up veggies like I pop M&M's.


It was great.  Will be making these again soon.  I used to make them all the time.  Until I forgot about them.  And then I remembered!  Memory is a great thing.


And roasting food is a great thing.  Great texture, concentrated flavor, put it in the oven and let it magically turn into something wonderful to eat.


Roasted Summer Veggies
Inspired by In the Bluegrass and Beyond

2 zucchini, quartered then diced into small pieces
1 eggplant, peeled and diced into small pieces
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Couscous, prepared, and shredded cheddar, for serving (optional)

On a large sheet tray, toss the chopped veggies with the olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 35-45 minutes until soft and starting to brown.  Serve on top of couscous and sprinkle with shredded cheddar, if desired.  Also delicious by themselves!

No comments: