Sunday, September 15, 2013

Enchilada Stuffed Peppers


I made these peppers last week...


and I'm pushing them to the front of my "post queue" because I'm making them again.  ASAP.


I absolutely loved these.  Partly because peppers are plentiful right now, and I'm trying to come up with new ways to use them.


Enchilada stuffed peppers?  Perfect.  Not my original idea, but I took it and ran with it.

So good, people.  So good.


I whipped up a little pico de gallo to put on top, but it's not necessary.  They were awesome on their own.


Next time I might try tomatillo salsa...my dad just brought me some fresh tomatillos from his garden.  I think that would be perfect on top.


And my kids?  Loved them too.


My kids don't love everything I make.  But I do make them try everything I make.  And sometimes they surprise me.


Like kale chips?  Baby Bear loved them.  Big Sis loved them.  Little Sis?  Wouldn't touch them.


You win some, you lose some.  These stuffed peppers are a definite win.


Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
Adapted from How Sweet It Is

4 large bell peppers (I used a combo of red/yellow/orange) or 6 medium peppers
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 cup water
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup black beans (from can, drained and rinsed)
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped fine
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
4 oz. can green chiles
1/4 cup sour cream
2 10 oz. cans red enchilada sauce
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (Monterey Jack or cheddar would be good too)

Use a knife to cut around the stem of the pepper.  Remove as little of the top of pepper as possible.  Remove the ribs and seeds from inside.  Place the peppers in an 8x8 baking dish.

Cook the rice and onion in the water for 20-25 minutes, until the rice is tender.  Mix the rice and onions with the cilantro, black beans, chicken, cumin, salt, garlic powder, green chiles and sour cream.  Fill the peppers with the mixture.  Pour one can of enchilada sauce over the top of the peppers, dividing the can as equally as possible between the peppers.  Pour the other can of sauce into the dish for the peppers to cook in.  Top each pepper with cheese.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour.  The peppers will soften on top first, but cook the peppers until they are soft on the bottom as well.  Serve hot.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well this looks yummy! Ill be making this next week! :) Miss you

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, Lauren! Hope y'all love them. Miss you too!!!