Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mexican Corn Dip

This recipe is from my friend Kate.  Kate was one of my first friends in Indy.

Kate is one of my friends from the corporate world in which we both lived.

Then we both had children.

And the corporate world came to an end.

We used to discuss work over lunch.

Now we are grateful if we manage to have a somewhat-coherent conversation while we chase our kids around the park.

Life is way more fun than it used to be.

So, a couple years ago, Kate and I were in charge of snacks at Bible study.

I have no idea what I brought.

But Kate brought this Mexican Corn Dip.

Everyone loved it.

I've been wanting to make it ever since.

So I made it the other night when we had some friends over.

This is easy and it happens fast.

See all of these ingredients?


Throw them in a bowl and stir them up.  Eat with Fritos.  Share with friends.  The end.

No really

You'll need whipped cream cheese for this - it's lighter and fluffier and, you guessed it, it will render a light and fluffy texture to the dip. 

And mayo.  That's self-explanatory.  And cheese.  Also self-explanatory.

The corn gives the dip a sweetness.  If you look closely, you can see that I had a problem on the corn aisle at the grocery.  So don't be like me and don't buy two different random sizes/types of corn.  Just stick witht he recipe because that's what works.

Salsa and Rotel give this dip a zing.  We'll also chop up two chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to give even more zing. 

Chipotle peppers in adobo are interesting.  They're on the Mexican aisle and they are smoked jalapenos packed in adobo sauce, which I don't really know what adobo sauce is except that it's a deep red color.  They look like this:


They come in small cans, but you never use more than one or two at a time or you flames would shoot from your mouth.  So what to do with the rest of the can?  I put them in a ziploc and freeze them. 

The next step is important.  Make sure you use a bowl that is far too small for the number of ingredients:

When I do things like this, I wonder if the Food Blog Police are going to come and find me.

They should.  Because clearly I'm not even qualified to assemble a dip that requires no cooking at all.

Want to see it again?  This is a better shot.

Good job.

But, fortunately, the dip was not compromised by my shortcomings.

Here it is all stirred up in the proper size bowl.

And we ate it with Fritos.  But you could do regular corn tortilla chips, and that would be a good choice.

It really was great!
Mexican Corn Dip

2 8-oz. cans white niplet corn, drained
1 10 oz. can Rotel, drained
1 cup salsa
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 8-oz. containers whipped cream cheese
8 oz. package finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix all ingredients together until combined.  This makes a lot of dip so use a larger bowl than you might think would be necessary.  Chill until ready to serve.  Serve with corn chips.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Can I just say that I love your blog. I think I gain weight every time I visit Pithy's Kitchen.