Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer Veggie Saute

Another recipe inspired by the Bunny.  So you know it's gonna be good, because the Bunny only does good things.

My take on this recipe has zucchini, onion, corn, grape tomatoes and cheddar cheese.

Um, yum.

You can make a big pan of this for cheap, because you're either growing these vegetables in your garden (if you're cool like my dad) or you can get these on sale at the grocery store because they're in season and mounded to the ceiling.

So melt two tablespoons of butter in a skillet while you chop up the veggies.

And don't give me grief about the butter.  It's a saute, okay?  And a saute means you have to use butter.  Even if it means taking healthy vegetables and turning them into something less than healthy.  I don't make these rules.  But I do try to follow them.
And slice up an onion and toss it in.


And now cut the ends off of four small zucchini, slice them down the middle, and then across to make nice little semi-circles.  You want small zucchini because the big, overgrown ones are exactly that - big, overgrown, and tough.  So get little ones because they're cuter and yummier.


Toss the zucchini in.  Saute this on medium heat for about 5 minutes while you cut the corn off the cob.  By all means, use fresh corn.  Fresh corn is so delicious and so worth the hassle it is to cut it off the cob.


I used six ears because I happen to like corn.  A lot.

Toss the corn in and let the mixture go for another 5 minutes.  This is enough time for the zucchini to get soft, the onions to get soft and sweet, and the corn to cook just right and become tender.

Now take a container of grape tomatoes and slice most of them in half.  You can use the whole container if you love tomatoes.  But I used about 3/4 of the container and it was perfect for me.

Toss in the tomatoes and - you guessed it - cook it another 5 minutes.  This is the right amount of time for the tomatoes to became soft but not so long that they fall apart and you can't identify them as tomatoes.

Now that the veggies have cooked for a total of 15 minutes, turn the heat to low, sprinkle on some shredded cheddar cheese, and put a lid on the pot.  Five more minutes and the veggies will be cooked perfectly and the cheese will be melty and gooey. 

Just like that.

If you are lucky enough to have any of this left over, it's just as good the next night.  (And I don't say that lightly, because I generally don't think leftovers taste quite as good the second time around.)

This is delicious and summery.  Make it tonight.

Summer Veggie Saute
Inspired by Creating a Stir in the Bluegrass and Beyond

2 T butter
1 large sweet onion (like Vidalia), sliced
4 small zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise and cut cross-ways into thin semicircles
6 ears of corn, kernels cut from the cob
6 oz. grape tomatoes, sliced in half (this is about 3/4 of a standard 8 oz. package)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Heat the butter over medium heat in a large saute pan.  When it is hot, add the onions and zucchini.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add the corn and cook another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Stir in the salt and pepper.  Add the grape tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes.  Sprinkle the cheese on top and turn the heat to low.  Cover the pan and cook another 5 minutes.

Serve immediately.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

This look delicious! The bunny, the bunny, oh I love the bunny! Here's a link to that crazy song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS0T57GOwPo

Elizabeth said...

Oh I love the Bunny too! :)

Bethany said...

I made this tonight from the Bunny. I added okra from our garden (another veggie we have coming out our ears.) I had no idea this recipe was so good. I made it together with Sesame Crusted Chicken (Pg. 288 - I think.) Oh.my.gracious! Delicious meal!

Elizabeth said...

I haven't made the sesame chicken but that sounds delicious! Going to look that one up...