Monday, August 8, 2011

Puttin' Up Corn

Is there anything better than fresh sweet corn?



And I mean fresh - like buying it like three minutes after it's been picked?



I'm pretty sure the answer is no, there is nothing better.

A couple of weeks ago, my mom and I put up corn.  We shucked it.  


12 dozen ears of fresh sweet corn from Gaffney Farm.

That's 144 ears.  I'm, like, a total math whiz.

Then we cut it off the cob. 

Then we blanched it.



And then we shocked it. 

And then we froze it.



Now we'll have fresh sweet corn all winter.


Are you kidding me? 

I can't wait for January, when I'll be making a pan of fresh corn sauteed in butter.

Don't be left out.  Put up some corn soon. 

It's so worth the mess you'll make in your kitchen.

Frozen Corn

Shuck desired amount of corn.  Cut the kernels off the cob.  Boil a large pot of water and add the corn to the water.  Return the water and corn to a boil and cook for 4 minutes.  Drain the corn and immediately plunge it into a large bowl of ice water.  When the corn has cooled completely, drain the ice water.  Use a one-cup measurer and place four cups into each quart freezer bag.  Remove as much air from the zipper bag as possible before closing and freezing. 

We used 144 ears of corn and ended up with 30 quart bags of corn.  This will keep for at least 6 months in the freezer.

No comments: