Monday, March 19, 2012

Roasted Onion Dip


Okay, so most of you know by now that I'm obsessed with onion dip.

Remember this?

So this is just another type of onion dip that I make sometimes.  Different, but still onion-y delicious.

My husband likes this version better, because the onion flavor is a little more subtle.  I guess the roasting process mellowed the flavor a bit.

Here's what the onions look like BEFORE you roast them:


And here's the after shot:


Then you just process the onions with some yummy stuff:




It makes a LOT so you can easily halve the recipe if needed.  Make this soon.

You won't be sorry.

I know I'm not.

I took a picture of the finished product in my UK chip & dip in honor of March Madness, but apparently my camera ate that shot.  This dip is so good!


Roasted Onion Dip
Inspired by Food Network Kitchens


2 onions, unpeeled
2 T olive oil
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
Several dashes Tabasco sauce (or 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper)
1 T white wine vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 scallions, cut into thirds

Place the onions in an oven-proof dish.  Use your hands to spread the olive oil over the onions.  Roast in a 425 degree oven for about 45 minutes, until very soft.  Remove and cool to room temperature.

Place the remaining ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.  When the onions are cool enough to handle, peel the onions and add them to the food processor.

Pulse until combined and the onions are chopped fine.  Serve with potato chips (I like Ruffles Ridges with this).

No comments: