Monday, April 30, 2012

Raspberry Lemonade Cake

I linked this recipe to Weekend Potluck!

My big girl turned FOUR this weekend.  I can't believe I have a four-year-old.


Then again,  I can't believe I'm now officially in my thirties.

Because when you say something happened 10 years ago, I totally think 1990.  Apparently 10 years ago was actually 2002.

Weird.


So when I asked Big Sis what kind of birthday cake she wanted, she said

well, I had a pink cake last year (how does she remember her third birthday?)

so this year I'd like a green cake.


Of course you would.  I suppose it's my fault for asking.

When I pictured everyone in the family smiling and showing their green teeth, lips and tongues, I managed to steer her back around towards pink.


It worked.  She decided a pink cake would be wonderful.  But not cupcakes, like the Middle had; Big Sis wanted a big cake.

I can do that.  As long as it doesn't involve dying my mouth green.

And here it is.  I must say that my family loved it.  The cake part was dense but super moist and the icing was tangy, sweet and smooth (my husband said the icing was awesome).  


Eat cake, y'all!

Raspberry Lemonade Cake
Cake recipe adapted from Southern Living; icing adapted from this strawberry icing

Lemonade Cake:
6 oz. frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
18.25 oz. package white cake mix
8 oz. sour cream
3 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
3 eggs
1 tsp lemon extract

Raspberry Icing:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick (4 T) butter, softened
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/4 cup raspberry puree (pureed from frozen unsweetened raspberries or fresh raspberries)
1/2 tsp raspberry extract

In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine all cake ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds.  Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another two minutes, until well incorporated (make sure you scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl).

Pour cake batter into a greased 9x13 baking dish.  Bake on 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out just clean.  Cool completely.

Beat together the icing ingredients until smooth.  Spread the icing evenly over the cooled cake.

No comments: