Monday, July 15, 2013

Almond Poppyseed Bread

So it's been awhile, y'all.


In the last few weeks, my dog has tripled in size and my kitchen makeover has wrapped up.


I thought I would share my favorite three things in my kitchen.


These drawer pulls.  Love.  I feel like the Barefoot.

Ironically, they were free.  Buy cabinets, get the hardware free.  Or something like that.


My undermount sink.  Also free.  Buy counters, get a sink free.  Deal.

I love how I just sweep crumbly messes directly into the sink.  Whoever came up with the idea to mount the sink under the counter is a genius.


And my third favorite thing: this sprayer.  My sprayer in my old kitchen had not worked in nearly two years, and we didn't bother to replace it since we knew we were going to gut the kitchen.

So I have a sprayer again!  It's awesome.

Small things, people.  It's the small things in life.


And, because I love almond extract and I got this huge tub of poppyseeds at the farmer's market, I made almond poppyseed bread.


You should too.  It's totally awesome.  One of my friends brought it to MOPS this year and I have been in love with it ever since.  So good!


It's easy, so just follow the directions.  And try not to eat all of the batter before you pour it into the loaf pan.

And then, when the bread is still warm from the oven, soak it in sweet sticky glaze.


I love this life.


What's that?  You want to see one more picture of Teddy?  Well.  If you insist.


Almond Poppyseed Bread
Adapted from Spice Islands

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 T poppy seeds
1/2 cup plus 2 T canola oil
3/4 cup milk (2% or whole)
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter extract

Glaze:
1/3 cup sugar
2 T orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 T butter

Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds.  Add the remaining ingredients and whisk just until smooth.

Pour batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

While the bread bakes, combine the glaze ingredients in a medium pan.  Bring to a boil; remove from heat and pour over the hot bread in the loaf pan.  Allow it to cool completely in the pan.  Remove from pan by running a knife along the edges to loosen.

Slice and serve (it will slice into neater pieces if you wait overnight to slice, but good luck waiting that long).

No comments: