Friday, July 12, 2013

Cherry-Almond Oat Bars

My husband loves cherries.  Real ones, fake ones, cherry flavor, cherry syrup, cherry cobbler...


You know what I mean.

And I love almond extract.  I really mean love.


Did you know how well cherries and almonds go together?

Well, they do.  They should, like, get married or something.


So these bars are similar to my Strawberry Oat Bars.  I last made the strawberry ones when I was five days past due with Baby Bear.


I decided to make a cherry-almond bar for fun.  And because I found this jar of cherry preserves at the grocery.


This jar of yummy cherry preserves was right at home in these bars.


Yum.  Again, like the strawberry oat bars, these cherry-almond bars are perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert.  They're versatile.  Then again, you might want to take me with a grain of salt.


Because I think that brownies also make the perfect breakfast, snack or dessert.

There ya go.

Cherry-Almond Oat Bars

10 T butter, melted
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
13 oz. jar cherry preserves
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Mix together the butter, oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder and extracts.  Lightly press 2/3 of the crumbly oat mixture in the bottom of a greased 7x11 baking dish.  Evenly spread the cherry preserves on top.

Mix the slivered almonds with the remaining 1/3 oat mixture.  Crumble over the top of the preserves.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  You want them to be nearly set (they will set up as they cool) but not brown and crunchy.  Cool completely before slicing.

No comments: