Monday, July 29, 2013

Shortbread Banana Pudding

I'm a bit behind on blogging.  I wrote this post weeks ago, and am just now finishing it.  Sorry I'm a little out of date!


On the 4th of July, I ran the Bluegrass 10,000 with my brother.

It was so fun.  For six miles, John entertained me with funny stories.  He wasn't even breathing hard.  Me?Well, I was out of breath and killing myself just to keep up with him.  (Boys run faster than girls.  It's just a fact.)


Baby Bear.  Waiting for us to cross the finish line.
I wanted to throw up at the end.  Not John.  He went sailing across the finish line, dragging me behind him.

So the reason I'm telling you this story?  You see, we both ate bananas for breakfast, before our run.  Because when you google "what to eat before 10k run," the answer is something along the lines of: "It's only six miles.  Eat whatever you want.  It's only six miles."


Oh.

So, if you have lots of bananas, you should make banana pudding.  It's always a good choice.  The perfect summer dessert.


I normally make banana pudding with homemade vanilla pudding.  But this one is whipped together quick and easy and is really delicious.  And it uses shortbread cookies instead of vanilla wafers.


Let me just say that a shortbread cookie never hurt nothin'.


And if you ever have the chance to run a race with your brother, do it.  Even though he's faster than you.

Shortbread Banana Pudding
Adapted from Paula Deen

5 oz. box instant vanilla pudding mix
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
8 oz. cream cheese
2 cups milk
8 oz. cool whip, thawed
2 packages Pepperidge Farm Chessmen Cookies
6 bananas, sliced

Use an electric mixer and beat together the pudding mix and the cream cheese until smooth.  Stream in the sweetened condensed milk and mix until combined.  Add the milk and mix until smooth.  Fold in the cool whip.

Layer one package of cookies in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.  Lay the sliced bananas in an even layer on top.  Pour over the pudding mix.  Layer the second package of cookies on top.

Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight before serving.

No comments: