Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cinnamon-Sugar Quick Bread

Well.  This recipe is a no-brainer. I made a loaf one Friday afternoon for our breakfast on Saturday morning.


Because it's fun to have a treat on Saturdays.


Except that my family came on Friday afternoon, right as the bread was coming out of the oven (it made my house smell heavenly) and devoured.  The. Whole. Loaf.  Gone.


Right then and there.


So, I did what any sensible person would do.  I whippped up another loaf of this bread and we had it.  Again.  On Saturday morning.


Quick bread.  Cinnamon-sugar layered in the middle and on top.


I mean, how bad can that be?


Right.  Get a cup of coffee because this comes together quick.


Hence the name.


Oil (makes it oh-so-moist), sugar, eggs, vanilla.  You know, the usual gang.  Plus milk.  Add the dry ingredients, stir it up.  Layer it in the pan with cinnamon and sugar.


You're supposed to let this cool before you cut it.  Well, I tried it both ways - hot, right out of the oven, and cooled overnight.


Both ways were so good.  I'm just not sure which way I liked better.  I guess I'll have to make it again.  And then I'll maybe be able to decide.

Go forth and conduct your own experiment using this bread.  You won't be sorry!

Cinnamon-Sugar Quick Bread
Adapted from A Whisk and a Prayer

1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 T baking powder
2 cups flour

Cinnamon/Sugar Mix:
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar

Whisk together the oil, sugar, salt, egg, vanilla and milk.  Add the baking powder and flour.  Stir until combined.  Pour a little more than half the batter into a greased loaf pan.

Combine the cinnamon and sugar.  Sprinkle most of the cinnamon/sugar on top of the batter in the pan.  Pour the remaining batter on top.  Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture on top.  Use a knife to swirl it a little bit.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 50-55 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean.

Let the bread cool in the pan for about 30 minutes.  Carefully remove it, wrap it in foil and let it cool completely.  (Yeah, right!)  Or you can slice it and serve it hot.  It may fall apart a little, but it's fabulous still warm.  Enjoy!

No comments: