Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chicken, Wild Rice & Mushroom Casserole

I've been so inspired lately.  I've been writing recipes like crazy.  I think I've been more inspired in the last week than I was the last three months combined.  I guess I'll have to make dessert like, two or three times a day for awhile...in the name of testing recipes.  For the blog.  And for y'all.  Yeah, that it.

Delish served with broccoli.
I'll blame my previous lack of inspiration on the bar exam.  The bar exam was on the verge of wrecking my life.  Fortunately I never have to do that again.

You'll need this box of yumminess.
And I think I'll give Baby Bear the credit for my inspired ideas and new recipes.  Baby brain is good for something, after all!

Cooked up - using only two cups of water (and you can leave out the butter...we're getting ready to use plenty of that).
And I guess I can give Baby Bear the credit for my sudden, inexplicable mushroom craving.  Pregnant women notoriously crave ice cream and pickles (simultaneously) at bizarre hours of the day and night, but I've yet to hear about a mushroom craving.

Saute those shrooms and onions in butter
Until now.  On this blog.  You heard it here first.

Add some stock and milk...you just made your very own homemade cream of mushroom soup!
So this is my ode to my mushroom craving.  I don't think this dinner needs much other explanation.

I adore Swiss cheese.

And chicken breasts, of course.
Good news!  I think you'll like this casserole even if you're not pregnant and not particularly craving mushrooms.

Mix EVERYTHING together.
It's hearty, creamy, earthy.

It has texture from the wild rice and a bite from the Swiss cheese.

Top with a little of the Swiss cheese that you held back just for this purpose.  This is great leftover, too.
And if the word "casserole" offends you, feel free to call it a "dish" or a "bake."  Whatever works for you is good with me.

Aren't you glad to know that.

Chicken, Wild Rice & Mushroom Casserole

4 T butter
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (I used a combo of button and cremini mushrooms)
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, grated
1/2 tsp dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup whole milk
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
6 oz. package Uncle Ben's Wild Rice & Long Grain Rice (cook it according to package directions except use only 2 cups of water and omit the butter)
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided

Melt the butter in a large skillet.  Saute the onions and mushrooms for about 10 minutes, until soft.  Add the garlic.  Season with thyme, salt and pepper.  Stir in the flour and cook for about a minute.  Slowly stir in the chicken stock and milk.  Cook over medium-low heat until bubbly and thickened.  Remove from heat.

Combine the cooked chicken, cooked wild rice mix, creamy mushroom and onion mixture and 1 1/2 cups of cheese.  Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.

Pour into a greased 3-quart casserole dish.  Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven, until bubbly.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Just made this tonight, but it was minus the cheese. Somehow, I failed to put cheese on my list or didn't buy it or something, but it was still REALLY GOOD! There is very little left! =)