Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mediterranean Wraps


My cat brought me a present today.  I would post a picture of said present but, out of respect for the deceased, I decided against it.

If you have a cat, you know what this means.


It means some sort of dead or, at the very least, mangled, animal.  Last week it meant an adorable baby bunny that he batted around the yard for quite some time before he finally put the poor animal out of its misery.

(Sidenote: I expected my children to be distraught over this shameless display of cat-and-mouse, in which a bunny lost his life.  Instead, my girls thought the game to be hilarious and cheered their beloved kitty on, encouraging him to catch the bunny who tried valiantly (but in vain) to escape.  Should I be concerned about their complete lack of compassion for the less fortunate?)

Oh, and did I mention that our fearless hunter has no claws?  You see, he was supposed to be an indoor cat.  You can see how well that plan worked.  Oh, and he has congestive heart failure.  But don't tell him because he's not slowed one bit by his handicaps.


Today his gift came in the form of a freshly killed chickmonk (good luck convincing my 4-year-old that it is called anything but a chickmonk).

He was so proud.  I'm pretty sure that he now considers his room and board paid up for the next day or so.  Until another chickmonk or bunny falls victim to his hunting prowess.


And he's so sweet, how could I be upset with him?


And this story is completely unrelated to this post.  Except to say that I was a herbivore for lunch, and my cat would never consider being anything but a carnivore.


Such is the circle of life.  Or the food chain.  Or the survival of the fittest.  Whatever.


I'll try to not start my next post with a story about a dead animal.  Sorry about that.


And that's a wrap.

Mediterranean Wraps
Makes one wrap; easily multiple for lots of wraps!


One wrap (I used Flat-Out wraps, sundried tomato flavor but a large tortilla, any flavor would also be good)
Thinly sliced cucumber
Thinly sliced red onion
Thinly sliced yellow peppers
Grape tomatoes, sliced in half
Hummus (I used roasted red pepper hummus but cilantro hummus would be delicious too)
Feta cheese, crumbled
Baby spinach leaves
Other things that would be yummy inside: roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, chopped artichoke hearts and/or tzatziki (yum!)

Spread the hummus on the center of the wrap.  Sprinkle some feta cheese crumbles on top.  Top with desired amount of each veggie.  Wrap and enjoy!

No comments: