Friday, June 1, 2012

Roasted Jalapeno Poppers


These aren't technically poppers, as poppers are fried.  And these aren't fried because it's pretty much against my religion to deep-fry anything in my own home.

I get my fried food fix when I go to Ramsey's.

That way, they clean up the grease.  And not me.


So these things are baked.  Or you can grill them.  I baked them, so I can't give you directions on grilling.  But if you're a grill master, you won't need my lousy grilling directions anyway.

Cut the jalapenos in half, and scoop out the veins and seeds.


Fill with shredded cheese.  I used cheddar, but you could certainly use Jack.  Or pepper Jack.  Or mozzarella.  Or any other type that you can shred/crumble/grate.


Then scoop a big hunk of cream cheese on top.


Then wrap in turkey bacon (or you can leave the unwrapped - good either way).

I made these earlier in the day and then chilled them.  Then I roasted them right before serving.  Perfect!
Roast for about 25 minutes or so.  Then broil for about 2 minutes to really crisp the bacon.

And pop 'em!


(Is this where they got the name poppers?  Anyone?)

These are sooooo good.  I thought maybe if I said sooooo like that, you would be more tempted to make them.  And leave a comment that you loved them too.  Some were super spicy; some were totally mild.  I have no advice as to determine which is which.  It's like Russian roulette!  Except much more fun and far less deadly.

Also, you could secure the bacon with a toothpick if you want a neater look.  I skipped the toothpick and my bacon came a little loose on some of them; it gave them a slightly messier appearance.  Delicious either way; I just think the toothpick adds an extra step to the assembly process and then gets in the way while you eat it.  It's up to you!

Happy June, y'all!

Roasted Jalapeno Poppers
Adapted from Pioneer Woman

10 jalapeno peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and seeds and veins scooped out
6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated (or any kind of cheese you like)
8 oz. cream cheese, cut into 20 cubes
10 strips turkey bacon, cut into half

Fill the jalapeno halves with grated cheese, then scoop cream cheese on top.  Pack it down so the cheese and cream cheese filling is packed tight into the jalapeno.  Wrap each half with 1/3 strip bacon, wrapping it so that the bacon seam is placed down on the baking sheet.  You can secure the bacon with a toothpick if you choose.  Place jalapenos, bacon seam side down, on the baking sheet.  Roast at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, until bacon is browned.  You can broil the last minute or so if you want to crisp up the bacon.  But watch these carefully!  Serve hot or at room temperature.

No comments: