Monday, June 11, 2012

Guest Blogger: Granny Cake

My sweet friend Aletta offered to write a guest post for me...and she sent me her famous Granny Cake!  I can't believe you never brought this to Bible study, Aletta!  It looks delicious!  


Since Elizabeth claims to not be cooking much lately, I offered my services as a guest blogger. My name is Aletta Cherry and I am one of her friends from the North. We met in a ladies’ Bible study several years ago. The Bible study still exists, but we are minus one very special lady that we all miss desperately! Now, on to the food because that is why you are here in the first place.

One of my most favorite things to eat is Granny Cake. I describe it as an extra sweet, ooey-gooey-pineapple-upside-down cake. Notice that I did not say that it is my favorite to make because it is high maintenance and I usually mess it up about every other time. You MUST use a NEWLY-OPENED bag of self-rising flour AND sift it well or else it will be dense and not taste yummy.

So, because I’ve failed at it so many times, this time I decided to try another route. I went all Elizabeth on it and used a boxed cake mix instead of the self-rising flour and it…. WORKED!

If you're vintage, though, I included the original version for those you. You get to decide - are you brave or are you a cheater? Either way, you will have a delicious dessert to enjoy.

My recipe card is well-loved.
My new ingredients.
I’m all shook up, er...mixed up


Finished cake ready for its wonderful glaze.

“Here I come,” says the glaze.

All glazed up...Ummm...the little mouse fairy came sampled the corners. He does that a lot at my house; do you have that problem too?
Granny Cake - original version

Cake:
2 cups self-rising flour (must be a new bag!)
2 cups sugar
1 large can of crushed pineapple
2 eggs

Topping:
2 cups of brown sugar
1-2 cups of crushed pecans (must be crushed or they will fall to the bottom)

Glaze:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Sift the flour well, then beat all of the ingredients together and pour into a greased 9x13 cake pan.  Cover with 2 cups of brown sugar and 1-2 cups of crushed pecans.  Bake for 40-45 minutes or until brown and done.

While the cake is baking, begin making the topping.  In a small saucepan, combine the butter, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup of the white sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.  Mixture will be thin.  Pour over hot cake.

Now for the Granny Cake - shortcut version


18 oz. box white cake mix (plus water and oil as called for on the box of cake mix - you can also substitute applesauce for the oil to reduce fat & calories)
2 eggs
1 large can of crushed pineapple

Beat ingredients together.  Pour into greased cake pan and proceed with the brown sugar/pecan topping and the glaze as directed above.

Either way that you make this cake, as soon as you bring it out of the oven, pour the topping on top of it
and watch the magic happen!  Enjoy.

2 comments:

Saanpan said...


I can't find the amount of oil referred to in the comments below about substituting with applesauce. I don't want to substitute, but I don't know how much oil to use to begin with :)

Saanpan said...

oops!! I just figured it out!! I should READ more carefully!!!