Saturday, July 21, 2012

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins

Blueberries were practically free at the grocery this week.  Have I mentioned lately that I love summer?


So I bought my two-year-old's weight in them.

She's a solid two-year-old, too.

And since one family can only eat so many handfuls of blueberries, I needed something else to do with them.

Enter Pioneer Woman's blueberry muffins.


Now, I make blueberry muffins.  They are little gems.  Treasures.  Perfect little bites.

But this time I needed a normal muffin.  A sturdy one.  I'm growing a sturdy boy, after all.


Desperate times call for desperate measures.

So I came up with my version of Pioneer Woman's blueberry muffins.


The yogurt makes these muffins insanely good, and totally different from my baby blueberry muffins.  The texture is just wonderful (think cake), and the yogurt adds a yummy tang.

Which is exactly what I was going for.


The only thing that's the same as my baby blues is the sugar topping:


Here's the turbinado sugar.  I think "turbinado" is code for "raw," which just means that the sugar is brownish instead of white and the crystals are much larger and rustic-looking.


I just love rustic sugar.

I lost this bag of turbinado sugar in our move last year.

Precisely how does one lose a bag of sugar in a move, you may ask.  I don't know either.

But the good news is that I found it!

This ice cream scoop makes my life complete.

Whew.  It was right in my pantry.  Where I apparently put it.

I know you're as relieved as I was.  That's what friends are for.

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
Adapted from Pioneer Woman

Makes about 12-14 muffins

2 3/4 cups plus 2 T flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (not fat-free)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 T turbinado sugar

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, soda, powder, salt and sugar.  In another bowl, whisk together the oil, egg, vanilla and yogurt.  Add the wet ingredients and the blueberries and lemon zest to the dry ingredients and use a spatula to stir until just combined.

Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into greased muffin tins.  Sprinkle turbinado sugar on the top.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 18-20 minutes until just done.  I will hurt you if you overbake these muffins.  And serve with butter, of course.

1 comment:

Sweet Georgia Sweet said...

We are blueberry eating machines at this house! We've gone twice to pick blueberries, & we're almost out of them all...... total I think we picked 10 pounds! I'll be SO, SO sad when we're out! Next year I'll pick more & buy a separate freezer just for blueberries! I made a browned butter blueberry muffin & it was heavenly! Love blueberry muffins!