Friday, July 27, 2012

Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Cake


In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm being weird.


Not just today, but for several days in a row now.

I can hardly hold my eyes open all morning.  But then, as soon as I put my children down (one for a nap; one for "rest time"), I have boundless energy and ideas of things that I must get done before Baby Bear comes.

So today?


I baked a cake.

Yes, that absolutely needed to happen before the baby comes.


I know.

I'm sure there's a name somewhere for this type of behavior.  Oh, that's right!  There sure is.  It's called the final weeks of pregnancy.




Yes, that's definitely it.

I explained my blueberry excess here.  This is merely Installment #2 of said blueberry excess.

If there's one thing better than blueberry muffins, it's blueberry cake!


This is not my original recipe (I know you're shocked).  I found it on the internet (somewhere, somehow...I don't even know) and adapted it (very slightly) to suit my purpose.

All that to say...I'm not taking credit for its invention.  Only that I made it, took pictures of myself making it, and then I ate it.

I would love to tell you how good and moist this cake is, but my mouth is full.


And it's just not polite to talk with your mouth full.

You'll have to excuse me now.  My children just woke up/finished with their nap/rest time.  And now I need a nap.

Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Cake
Adapted from a recipe I found on the internet


18.25 oz. yellow cake mix
4 eggs
15 oz. ricotta cheese
1/4 lemon juice (I used 1 1/2 lemons)
3 oz. box instant lemon pudding mix
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Place all ingredients except for the blueberries into a mixing bowl.  Beat on low speed for 30 seconds.  Stop mixer and scrape the bottom of the bowl well.  Turn the mixer on medium-high and beat for 1 1/2 minutes.  Fold the blueberries in carefully with a spatula.

Pour batter into a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 38-40 minutes.  Please don't overbake, or the cake will be dry instead of moist.  Cake should always be moist.  Cool completely before slicing.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the recipe! I also bought a ton of blueberries. How can you not at this time of year? I can't blame it on pregnancy. However those 5 cans of pumpkin I still have from the fall, I do blame on pregnancy hormones. Looking forward to hearing of the arrival of your little boy!

Elizabeth said...

I always feel sad when blueberry season is over. :( Glad I have a blueberry-buying companion! :)